STRATFORD -- A bird's nest in a rarely-used bathroom vent apparently caused a small fire in a Brooklawn Road early Tuesday.
Fire Marshal Brian Lampart said all four residents of 266 Brooklawn Road got out safely, and though the fire was isolated in the bathroom it burned through an exterior wall.
"It was apparent that this bathroom fan hadn't been used in some time and it was turned on accidentally,'' Lampart said. "A short time later the family noticed smoke coming from the bathroom.''
The fire marshal said when he took the fan and vent apart he found evidence of a bird's nest and that the fan blades had seized up and were unable to rotate -- either from disuse or from the nesting material.
The damage to the 1 1/2 story wood frame home is estimated at $30,000, officials said. The 1,920 square-foot home remains habitable but the upstairs bathroom and adjoining bedroom have been sealed off until a contractor can make that area safe, Lampart said.